of the Arnes Cemetery
The Arnes Cemetery sits in the present-day development
of Silver Harbour, on land donated by Sigurdur Sigbjornsson. With the
gift he stipulated that it was to be available to all; regardless of
church affiliation, colour, or race. In 1880, Sigurdur settled on
a homestead previously named "Arnes" by the original occupant Kristjon
Sigurdson, whose wife and two daughters had died in the smallpox
epidemic of 1876. These three people had already been buried within the
site and thus were the first graves of the cemetery.
descendents of Sigurdur and his wife Snjolaug Sigbjornsson continue to
be a major part of those caring for the cemetery to the present day.
the latter part of the twentieth century, the area became more
and more popular with people seeking recreation on the shores of Lake
Winnipeg. The nearby Arnes dock which had been built to support
the active fishing industry on the lake was visited often by anglers
fishing for sport, and was a refuge for boaters caught in foul weather.
During the 1970's, some of the farming area was subdivided and lots
sold to people
wishing to build summer cottages and vacation properties. At this point
the settlement surrounding the mouth of the river became known as
Silver Harbour, and today, a number of families live in the area
on a full-time basis and seasonal cottagers are often nearby. A
thriving marina brings in many more seasonal boaters.
2013, many of the residents of Silver Harbour embarked on a community
project to assist in the improvement of the cemetery. The entire
property was surveyed , subdivided and documented with existing graves
inventoried. The records created are intended to allow for a more
organized management of the site. The perimeter was also cleared of
brush and trees and the front fencing was extended to the
remaining three sides.
This website is one of
the results of that project and website hosting is extended by
courtesy of the Silver Harbour Property Owners Association.